It’s been another busy week full of COVID-19 related news, but aside from that, the news was dominated by the jucy details revealed about the next-gen consoles.
We now know everything about the hardware powering the machines, but we’re still waiting to see more of the games coming to these machines (outside a few cross-gen Xbox exclusives) and we’re waiting for prices and a release date!
With all of that to cover, let’s dive into this week’s round-up:
In the News This Week
- PlayStation 5 specifications revealed – CPU, GPU, SSD & 3D Audio detailed and backward compatibility clarified
- Xbox Series X technical specs full list released by Microsoft, loading and quick resume footage shown
- Hello Games’ The Last Campfire coming out in summer
- Solos comes to Call of Duty: Warzone’s battle royale
- Pixeljunk Eden 2 revealed for Nintendo Switch, coming this summer
- WRC 9, WRC 10 and WRC 11 have all been announced, and they’re coming to PS5 and Xbox Series X
- Epic Store free games now live with Watch Dogs & The Stanley Parable
- Splinter Cell’s Sam Fisher will be part of Ghost Recon Breakpoint’s Deep State story
And for your coronavirus catch up:
- The Witcher Season 2 filming has been postponed due to COVID-19 (obviously)
- The Uncharted movie production is the latest project to be halted due to COVID-19
- Some Final Fantasy VII Remake orders may be delayed due to COVID-19
- Video game usage shoots up by 75% in the U.S. as people stay at home
- GDC 2020 and EGX Rezzed 2020 announce new summer dates, for after the coronavirus lockdown (hopefully)
Games in Review
Miguel couldn’t praise Doom Eternal enough in his review, calling it “a ripping, tearing masterpiece.” But, for those of you looking for a calmer experience, then New Horizons should be right up your street.
- Doom Eternal – PS4, XBO, PC, Switch – 10/10
- Persona 5 Royal – PS4 – 10/10
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Switch – 9/10
- TT Isle of Man – Ride on the Edge 2 – PS4, XBO, PC, Switch – 7/10
As I said before, we got a good look at the innards of the next-gen consoles this week. Of course, that meant everyone was asking the question about the PS5 and Series X: which is more powerful?
Meanwhile, Miguel kicked off the previews with a deep dive into Beyond Blue, a simple yet educational experience, as Jim looked at Spellbreak, a “fun and frenetic” Battle Royale, before speaking to its developers. He also caught up with the devs of Warhammer: Chaosbaneto discuss its fifth hero.
With the second DLC pack for Borderlands 3 just around the corner, Stefan went hands on with Guns, Love, and Tentacles, which brings more of the same crazy action that fans love. And while Final Fantasy VII is the remake that everyone’s salivating over, Square Enix are doing a more modest, but not less comprehensive job on Trials of Mana as well.
In a lighthearted feature, we came up with the 10 “best” island names to pick in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, before Stefan streamed a whopping 90 minutes of gameplay yesterday lunchtime.
Finally, What We Played featured Doom Eternal, Animal Crossing: New Horizons & Persona 5 Royal.
Here’s what the community has been up to this week:
- MrYd finished off the story for Wolfenstein 2, and played a lot of The Division 2.
- Also playing The Division 2 was Andrewww, who’s also been getting some cycle rides in.
- Our usual trophy hunter Crazy_Del got the platinums for The Hunt and Just Cause 4, as he looks forward to some Darksiders and Doom this weekend.
- And while TSBonyman hasn’t been up to any gaming, he does wish everyone
Good luck for the next week, keep self-distancing, washing your hands, and I’ll see you again soon!