It feels like it’s been just a few weeks since the last bank holiday (because it has), and yet here we are again, getting to enjoy three days off instead of the normal two.
We’re well and truly into the pre-E3 season, as publishers and developers are already falling over themselves to make game announcements and reveals. From Horizon Forbidden West and Far Cry 6 to a new Sonic game and Dragon Quest anniversary announcements, there’s been a lot happening. Let’s dive in!
In the News This Week
- Horizon Forbidden West PS5 gameplay revealed in State of Play
- Far Cry 6 is out on 7th October – watch the story & gameplay reveal here
- Dying Light 2 is out on 7th December 2021 – see the new gameplay trailer here
- Sega tease new Sonic game coming in 2022 – Sonic Colors Ultimate remaster also announced
- Assetto Corsa 2 is scheduled to be released in 2024, mobile version coming this summer
- Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fates announced – new battle system, Unreal Engine 5 & global release planned
- Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake combines the classic JRPG with the Octopath Traveler engine
- Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase takes place on June 13th, confirms Microsoft
- Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl, Pokémon Legends: Arceus release dates announced
- Borderlands 3 cross-play update is being blocked on PlayStation consoles
- Unreal Engine 5 is now in Early Access for developers – download the Valley of the Ancients tech demo
- Uncharted 4 is heading to PC, according to Sony IR documents
And since it’s almost June, there’s a fresh batch of free games to look forward to:
- The June Games with Gold have been announced
- The June PlayStation Plus games have been revealed!
- Company of Heroes 2 & Ardennes Assault are free to download and keep this weekend
- June’s Amazon Prime Gaming includes free games plus content for Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, FIFA 21 and more
Games in Review
We had some very well reviewed games on the docket this week, especially with Nick rounding out his Mass Effect Legendary Edition write up with a score. The big new game of the week was Biomutant, which Dom is still plugging away at. Is it worth the wait?
- Manifold Garden – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, PC, iOS – 9/10
- Mass Effect Legendary Edition – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, PC – 9/10
- Sumire – NSW, PC – 8/10
- Star Wars Pinball VR – PSVR, PC VR, Oculus – 8/10
- Mad Rat Dead – PS4, NSW – 8/10
- An Airport for Aliens Currently Run by Dogs – XSX|S, XBO, PC – 7/10
- Beautiful Desolation – PS4, NSW, PC – 5/10
- Rise of the Slime – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 3/10
- Biomutant – PS4, XBO, PC – Review in Progress
We had a host of previews this week, and we’ll start with Tuffcub’s look at The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes, and how Supermassive are looking to take a step forward with their horror series. Let’s then turn to Far Cry 6, where I previewed the game’s many additions and ‘resolver’ attitude, and spoke to its World Director on how they’re taking inspiration from Cuba and revolutions the world over.
Dom looked at Almighty: Kill Your Gods, an ambitious looter RPG that’s just missing that little spark to make it a great game right now, while Miguel was much more enthused by GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon, calling it a gorgeous ukiyo-e spin on Dead Cells, and I took a quick look at some new PS5 footage from Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade and the new Yuffie story.
I followed up on some more of the announcements from last weekend’s PDXCON with a look at the upcoming Meyer Lansky DLC for Empire of Sin and an interview about Crusader Kings 3: Royal Court and its troublesome jesters…
Finally, the 500th edition (!) of What We Played featured Resident Evil Village, Mass Effect 2 and Fortnite
Here’s what you in our community has been up to this week:
- Crazy_Del has been playing LA Noire and Dirt 5 (again) on PS5, though it’s a rare week where he hasn’t added to his collection of Platinum trophies.
- PoorPaddy89 has been working through RE Village’s Mercenaries mode, finding that the secret to success is to turn off the adaptive triggers.
- Andrewww played 3 hours of Days Gone and though “it wasn’t too bad”, but then realised he was playing in the wrong account on his PS5! He then started Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but was less than impressed. Not great when he’s trying to overcome some gaming fatigue.
- And ron_mcphatty has been cracking on with Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Grip, Splatoon 2 and some Mario Kart 8 online. He’s definitely found it easier getting all that gaming in on a Switch Lite compared to the regular Switch.
That’s all for this week’s gaming round-up. As always, have fun at home, stay safe if and when you’re out, and we’ll see you next week.