Call Of Duty: Ghosts PS4 Single Player Receiving Day One 1080p Patch

Thanks a lot, configuration issue.

So, it turns out that the reason why the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of Call of Duty: Ghosts looked so close together in our comparison video on Tuesday because they were both running the single player at 720p.

Speaking to Eurogamer, as the outlet who noticed the discrepancy to prior claims, Activision stated that, “There was a configuration issue in the retail version on single-player mode only. This has been addressed with a day one software update. People will be able to download the day one update when PlayStation 4 launches in their territory and play at native 1080p.”

Eurogamer then went on to explain that, “Without the day one update, you’ll get the COD single-player upscaled, including the menu system and the HUD. Indeed, even the occasional screen-tear generated by the game is upscaled from 720p.”

For the rest of us it seems it was a fairly simple thing to miss, with Mark Rubin publicly stating prior to launch that the PlayStation 4 version was running at 1080p and the Xbox One at 720p upscaled to 1080p. Activision didn’t make any further distinction to reviewers that the single player on PlayStation 4 would be running at anything other than the 1080p present in the rest of the game, when it too was actually upscaling.

With the Xbox One’s resolution publicly announced and the majority of review time spent playing multiplayer, where there is a more noticeable difference and the PlayStation 4 does already run at 1080p, I wasn’t looking for and didn’t notice the single player deficiency and took the statement and the output resolution at face value.

In making the comparison video, I also focussed largely on the single player footage and scripted moments, with which I could better do side-by-side and split screen comparisons. This surprised me as to how close together the two consoles looked, but I didn’t dig deeper into or demonstrate much of the multiplayer, let alone indulge in pixel counting, and this led to something which was misleading when viewed with those statements about resolutions in mind.

Resolution comparisons made with our previous video, then, are largely moot. We’ve learnt from this moment so that, as and when we do comparison videos of this style in future we will hopefully ensure that this kind of error doesn’t happen again. Many a pixel will be scrutinised.

For now, here are two quick videos of the unaffected multiplayer, from PlayStation 4 and Xbox One respectively. As always, watching at 1080p on your main TV will give the best impression of how this will actually look in action, even taking into account varying degrees of compression during capture, editing and upload to Youtube.

1. Loxstokk
    Since: Aug 2010

I can’t help but look at this (admittedly for the first time today, I lost interest in COD after MW2) and think that it looks very much last gen (PS3, X360) – clunky models, unrealistic proportions (something I thought would die out after PS2!) and lazy textures. I’m sure it plays great, it certainly looks smooth. Just disappointed with the level of graphical polish.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 08:58.
    • Starman
      Since: Jul 2011

IW did say that making it for 6 different formats stretched them thinly. Add to that that they’re not exactly known for pushing systems its no surprise that its a bit of a half arsed version on each format.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 09:55.
  2. Voolar
    Since: Mar 2009

You’ll have to go back and do all those comparison videos again…

It begs the question, if both were running 720p, why was the XB1 version noticeably inferior…?

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 09:20.
  3. Scythegpd
    Since: Jul 2010

I wonder if this isn’t a way around MS’s “games must be the same or we can refuse right to publication” policy.
    Kinda like “Suuure, we’ll release the games with the same spec on disk … oh look, what’s this patch that’s appeared post launch?” kinda thing.

Conspiracy theorists unite!

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 09:42.
    • PARKER94!

I dont think with CoD it would matter anyway, MS refuse to publish it and there goes 60% of the users, If EA did the same with fifa thats would be another 30% of them.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 16:51.
  4. stonyk

The other interesting question – as so many Xbox fans have claimed – that the Xbone will have an update to put it to 1080p as well. From what I’ve heard this has been denied (as basically not possible) which is odd, as this is clearly possible for PS4.

Does that mean that:
    a) Its too difficult for the studio to do it
    b) Xbone is not capable whatever the studio do
    c) It is possible but not cost effective for them

Answers on a postcard….

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 09:51.
    • Starman
      Since: Jul 2011

IW said that if the allocated resources on the X1 are reduced then 1080p and all that is easily possible.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 09:58.
    • Voolar
      Since: Mar 2009

1080p is possible on the XB1 as proven by Forza, but that is not a very dynamic game. As the devs get the hang of the XB1, they’ll get beeter results. It will never be able to compete with the sheer power and ease of development that the PS4 offers though.

With regard to COD:Ghosts, I think it’s a combination of it being a rushed product across many platforms, IW not being the developer it once was and that 10 year old Quake Engine…

Now, if Titan Fall is also 720p (as rumours suggest), and more importantly, if the next Halo doesn’t cut it. I think the XB1 will be in trouble.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 10:00.
      • Starman
        Since: Jul 2011

Yeah being multiplatform definitely harmed the game’s prospects of looking good.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about 720 or 1080, after all not one person realised the comparison video from the other day wasn’t 1080 on ps4. I don’t think the difference can be that huge if nobody even picked up on it.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 10:13.
    • Kennykazey
      Since: Mar 2010

I’m no expert, but here’s what I’ve gathered: You know how XO has two pools of memory, one big but slow 8GB of DDR3 and another small but super fast 32MB of ESRAM? Well, every frame needs to go through that little one and currently it’s acting as a bottleneck due to its small size. The best way around it currently is to render at 720p as a 1080p image will nearly fill the whole thing, leaving little room for other memory intensive settings like anti aliasing, shaders and such. Then according to Digital Foundry, the Kinect holds up 10% of the graphicscard, leeching it’s total performance.

Please do correct me anyone if I’ve got something wrong or if you can add more light to details.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 11:34.
  5. Starman
    Since: Jul 2011

What I find a bit funny on here is a while ago I said I wasn’t particularly interested in indie games on next gen consoles as I wanted things that would show off the console. I got absolutely panned for saying this. But now all any game preview/review gets on the comments is talk about the graphics!

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 10:03.
  6. bunimomike

I’d like to reply with “hahahahahahaha”. :-) Sorry, but it’s hilarious that this wasn’t spotted sooner by everyone scrutinising the in-game footage. The sad part is that we’ve managed to wring out another article or three about comparisons.

*reaches for 1080p razor blade and hacks away at wrists*

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 10:10.
    • Starman
      Since: Jul 2011

Ha ha, spot on. “I can’t believe it not 1080p!”

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 10:21.
    • Stefan L
      Community Team

Every cloud has a silver lining, eh?

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 12:08.
  7. Bilbo_bobbins

To be honest, 1080p or not, it looks funking terrible when you compare it with other next gen titles. This game/engine has definitely run its course. Wont be touching.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 13:28.
  8. Phizzy
    Since: Jun 2010

Ah, I knew that footage looked wrong. I considered calling shenanigans on the whole thing. Thought you might have been being deliberately misleading… But I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 14:45.
  9. Statix
    Since: May 2013

TheSixthAxis: How are your general impressions of the framerate in multiplayer, on the PS4 version? Do you notice any bouts of significant slowdown?

Comment posted on 14/11/2013 at 23:16.