We’re still basking in the sun, though thankfully most of this week has been a bit cooler than much of July. That said, I’ve just seen the forecast of 35C for the end of next week, and I now want to know when this horror will end? Can’t we just have the usual British
summer rain season misery?
In the News This Week
- Fortnite Has Made Epic Over $1 Billion
- No Man’s Sky Next Adds Multipayer And Third Person Mode, Out Next Week
- Guerrilla To Expand So They Can Work On “New Titles And Games Based On Existing Titles”
- Enter The Gungeon’s Dungeons & Draguns Free Expansion Is Out Now
- Nintendo Are Charging Up To £180 To Fix Nintendo Switch Case Cracks
- Germany Bans Pre-Orders Without Delivery Deadlines
- The Shapeshifting Detective Is The Next FMV Mystery From The Devs Of Doctor Dekker
- Two Point Hospital Opens Its Doors At The End Of August
- PlayStation 4 System Update 6.00 Beta Sign Ups Are Now Live
- Don’t Believe The Hype, Microsoft Are Not Revealing The Next Xbox At Gamescom
Games in Review
There’s been highs and lows in this week’s reviews, from the weird and wonderful shooter Mothergunship to the disappointment of Earthfall’s Left 4 Dead-alike.
- Mothergunship – PS4, XBO, PC – 8/10
- Shining Resonance Refrain – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 8/10
- Tempest 4000 – PS4, XBO, PC – 7/10
- Earthfall – PS4, XBO, PC – 4/10
- Blacksea Odyssey – PS4, XBO, PC – 4/10
Reviewed platform in bold.
This Week’s Features
The heat of the summer has slowed our feature writing a tad, but there’s still been some juicy features to sink your teeth into. We started off with Tuffcub playing FIFA 18 in a new feature called Forced Fun.
Dom spoke to composer Jesse Harlin, whose most recent work was on Yoku’s Island Express, but has several previous credits on Star Wars games and a number of AAA projects he can’t yet talk about.
I closed out the week with a look at the first hour of The Persistence, a PSVR stealth horror game coming out next week. Firesprite were founded by a bunch of ex-Studio Liverpool devs, and their previous work includes The Playroom and Run Sackboy! Run!.
Another studio born from the closure of British developers is Two Point Studio, who are working on a spiritual successor to Theme Hospital called Two Point Hospital. We went hands on with it, and spoke to Two Point’s Ben Hymers and Mark Smart.
There’s plenty of busy gaming this week, as we check in on the TSA community:
- GeneralJeeb has found himself drawn back to the world of The Witcher 3 and tilting at the two DLC expansions. There’s also been a touch of Onrush alongside this.
- It’s just been Gravity Rush 2 for ron_mcphatty, who’s found tons more variety after unlocking the Lunar style.
- MrYd’s been up to his usual: Lumines, The Walking Dead, Skyrim VR, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Rainbow Skies and some Destiny 2.
- The Heavy Rain platinum was Crazy_Del’s biggest prize, who’s also been playing H1Z1 daily, dabbling with Darksiders II and ordering the limited edition Spider-Man PS4 Pro!
- What’s NEXT for TSBonyman? Well No Man’s Sky, of course.
- Pixel_nme started the week off with The Crew 2’s platinum, saved the world some more in Fortnite and returned to Shadow Warrior 2.
- JR. didn’t play games, but did watch the new Tomb Raider. He “liked it for the most part.”
- Tony Cawley bagged the platinum trophies for Fallout Shelter and Burnout Paradise this past week.
- And it was a mixture of Rayman Legends, Elite Dangerous and playing Fez on PS3 for Andrewww. That game was fantastic.
If you want to be included in this section, make sure to comment on What We Played of a Friday evening.
The Week Ahead
Heading into July, it’s a rather quiet week:
- The Persistence – PSVR – 24/07 (25/07 retail)
- No Man’s Sky NEXT – PS4, XBO, PC – 24/07
- The Banner Saga 3 – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC, Mac – 24/07
- Airheart – PS4, PC – 24/07
- Mega Man X Legacy Collection – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 24/07
- Ys: Memories of Celceta – PC – 25/07
- Go Vacation – Switch – 27/07
- Hello Neighbor – PS4, Switch, iOS, And – 27//07
Enjoy the weekend and we’ll catch you next week!