September has well and truly arrived, bringing with it the overcast conditions I’ve dearly missed over the last couple of months.
With no F1 this weekend, I’m a little bit at a loss of what to do. I’m tempted to download the Battlefield V open beta and give it a go, but I haven’t heard the greatest things from other TSA readers…
In the News This Week
- Nearly Half A Million Players Have The God Of War Platinum Trophy
- EA Are Giving Away Battlefield 1’s Premium Pass For Free Next Week
- Battlefield V’s Squad-Based Battle Royale Mode Is Called Firestorm
- Civilization VI Is Coming To Nintendo Switch In November
- Tonight’s Nintendo Direct Delayed After Earthquake Hits Hokkaido, Japan
- THQ Nordic Buy The Kingdoms Of Amalur IP, Pearl Abyss Buys CCP Games
- A New Free To Play Lord Of The Rings MMO Is Happening
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Is Now A ‘Full Product Release’ On Xbox One
- Save Over 70% On PS4 Games In The New PlayStation Store Sale
- Fallout 76 Storyline Revealed
Entries closed at midday today for our Black Ops 4 Beta Giveaway, so keep checking your emails and DMs to see if you were one of the 20 lucky winners to try out the new Battle Royale mode!
We’ll update the original post with a list of winners.
Games in Review
Most of the focus will of course be on Insomniac’s highly anticipated Spider-Man, but PSVR owners should also check out Firewall as Jim calls the game “essential” .
- Spider-Man – PS4 – 9/10
- Firewall: Zero Hour – PSVR – 9/10
- Chasm – PS4, PC, Vita – 8/10
- Naruto To Borut: Shinobi Striker – PS4, XBO, PC – 8/10
- Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate – Switch – 8/10
- Hungry Shark World – PS4, XBO, Switch, Android, iOS
- V-Rally 4 – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 5/10
- Moonfall Ultimate– PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 4/10
Reviewed platform in bold.
This Week’s Features
Dom started the week with a look at how subscription models are all around us now, and how that could pave the way for the future of the industry with Microsoft’s Xbox All Access subscription. Similar to a phone contract, you pay an amount per month in return for an Xbox console (One X or S), an instant gaming library via Xbox Game Pass, and Xbox Live. On the face of it, it sounds a good deal for those unable to make the upfront payment, while it seems Microsoft are testing the waters for the next generation of consoles.
Meanwhile, Stefan kicked off the previews by getting behind the wheel of Forza Horizon 4. If you were expecting a dreary-looking game that involved the majority of your time being sat in traffic, then think again as you race across the gorgeous parts of Scotland and northern England.
Sticking with the colourful theme, he also looked how developers Authority are creating something “that’s fast, fun and more varied” for Rage 2.
With THQ Nordic’s acquisitions in full swing, it was a timely look at Darksiders III, to see if the series could be brought back to life. It looks like there’s still a bit of work to be done, but chances are the fans of the first two will continue to enjoy this one as the developers behind it haven’t changed. Speaking of series reboots, Devil May Cry 5 looks set to appease existing fans, but that might be at the expense of accessibility to newcomers as Tef found out.
Last up from the previews, Stellaris is finally coming to consoles and is the perfect example of a Grand Strategy game. Coming from Paradox Interactive (publishers of Cities: Skylines) it’s needless to say that this will fill the void for many fans who can’t access the game on PC.
Finally, What We Played featured Marvel’s Spider-Man, Strange Brigade & PES 2019.
There’s plenty of busy gaming this week, as we check in on the TSA community:
- double-o-dave gives us a lengthy review of the Battlefied V Beta, but feels it’s taking the series in the wrong direction. He’s giving it another go this weekend however, so maybe he’ll change his mind.
- Crazy_Del grabbed the platinum for Don’t Knock Twice, nearly got the platinum for Far Cry 3, and got bested by a trophy glitch in Mad Max before Spiderman arrived.
- aerobes made use of his staycation, playing Strange Brigade, PES 2019 and Witcher 3. And he agrees with Dave that Battlefield V is losing its identify.
- tactical20 enjoyed Far Cry Zombies and Hungry Shark.
- MrYd’s week included God of War 3, Catch & Release, and ‘far too much’ Firewall.
- Andrewww played HZD, and fell in love with the first season of Westworld.
- Last up, Ron bought the DLC for EverSpace as he’s still loving it, even if there are some troublesome sections!
If you want to be included in this section, make sure to comment on What We Played of a Friday evening.
The Week Ahead
Here’s a look at what’s arriving next week:
- NBA 2K19 – PS4, XBO, PC, Switch – 11/09
- Boundless – PS4, PC – 11/09
- State of Decay 2 Daybreak Pack – XBO, PC – 12/09
- Frozen Synapse 2 – PC – 12/09
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider – PS4, XBO, PC – 14/09
Enjoy the weekend and don’t forget that tomorrow’s Sunday Streaming Hour will be Spider-Man, starting at 7pm BST!