Are you ready for it? The next fortnight is one of the most ludicrous bonanzas of major game releases since AC Origins, Wolfenstein II and Super Mario Odyssey went toe to toe on the same day back in 2017. Metro Exodus, Crackdown 3, Jump Force, Far Cry New Dawn this week, then Anthem the next, it’s all a bit much. I’ve barely even had time to sit down and play Resident Evil 2 (though, to be fair I have been distracted by Apex Legends!).
We’ll get to the news in just a second, but first things first, if you’re an infrequent visitor to TheSixthAxis you might have noticed that things look rather different around here. On Tuesday we launched our first major redesign in over a decade, and can read more about it here! We hope you’re liking it.
In the News This Week
- Respawn’s Apex Legends Battle Royale revealed – out now for PS4, XBO & PC
- Don’t worry, Respawn are working on something Titanfall for later in 2019
- Apex Legends slides past 10 million players in 72 hours
- EA host a disappointed financial call, as Battlefield V underperforms
- Disney boss says they’re still happy with EA’s Star Wars license
- Anthem’s post-launch roadmap has been revealed
- Warhammer: Chaosbane will have two beta phases for those who pre-order
- NieR: Automata coming to Final Fantasy XIV
- Dirt Rally 2.0 will get VR support this summer… for Oculus Rift
- Metal Gear Solid movie director has played Death Stranding, says it’s like “freebasing pure Kojima”
- Rock Band Developer Harmonix Teasing Next Game
Games in Review
It’s been a slower week than most in terms of reviews.
- God Eater 3 – PS4, PC – 7/10
- The Walking Dead: The Final Season – Episodes 2 & 3 – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – Episodic
- Agent 47: The Birth of Hitman – Comic book review
Reviewed platform in bold.
This Week’s Features
The big story of the week was the announcement and launch of Apex Legends. We were fortunate enough to play it ahead of time and had some day one thoughts on how it takes the next step for the Battle Royale. We followed this up with a chat with design director Mackey McCandlish, and then offered up 22 tips and tricks to get ahead in the game.
Elsewhere, we spoke to Anthem producer Thomas Singleton about how that game will continue to evolve and grow after launch, and to composer Robert Lundgren about crafting the dynamic soundscapes of Mutant Year Zero.
Ade kickstarted a weed growing business in Weedcraft Inc, and spoke to Vile Monarch’s Kacper Kwiatkowski about the moralities and dilemmas behind the game
Jim has been getting to grips with Kingdom Hearts III and offered up some first impressions on the long-awaited RPG, while Alan Wen joined us to go hands on with the sensational Devil May Cry 5, and I asked if Jump Force is the fun, despite the weird 3D visuals.
Finally, What We Played featured Apex Legends, The Division 2 and Kingdom Hearts III.
Here’s a CG animated short for next week’s Metro Exodus
And here’s the Anthem launch trailer
Time to see what the community have been playing this past week:
- Crazy_Del whipped through Darksiders III and grabbed the platinum with ease – “Apocalyptic difficulty was a joke!”
- MrYd finished the main story of AC Odyssey, but thinks Ubisoft would be wise to take another year off from the franchise. He’s also contemplating just giving up on his gaming backlog.
- Eldave0 finished his first run through Resident Evil 2.
- And Andrewww’s mainly been playing Resident Evil HD, before sampling a bit of The Division 2.
- TSBonyman’s smallest of victories was completing another level in Thumper.
If you want to be included in this section, make sure to comment on What We Played of a Friday evening.
The Week Ahead
As mentioned above, it’s all a bit nuts this week:
- Trials Rising – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 12/02
- The Liar and the Blind Prince – PS4, Switch – 12/02
- Crackdown 3 – XBO, PC – 15/02
- Dreamworks Dragons Dawn of the Riders – Switch – 15/02
- Far Cry New Dawn – PS4, XBO, PC – 15/02
- Jump Force – PS4, XBO, PC – 15/02
- Metro Exodus – PS4, XBO, PC – 15/02
That’s it for this edition, have a good weekend and we’ll see you again soon!