We’ve said goodbye to EGX Rezzed for another year, and it’s this show’s fault for Something for the Weekend being a day later than usual. The industry party on Friday night will have left a lot of people attending the third and final day of Rezzed feeling rather the worse for wear. I wasn’t one of them – a) I’m didn’t head back to Rezzed, and b) I’m one of those annoying people that’s wakes up basically fine after any heavy drinking session – but I didn’t return home to a laptop and start pulling together this weekend’s round up until this morning.
So, without much further ado, let’s check in on the week that was.
In the News This Week
- God of War wins big at the BAFTA Games Awards 2019
- Borderlands 3 box art, release date, and Collector’s Edition leaked and were confirmed
- BioWare admits and pledges to address workplace issues after Anthem exposé
- Xbox Live subscriptions are getting more expensive in the UK next month
- Nintendo Labo VR support is coming to Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild
- Ubisoft cancel Starlink toys due to the game underperforming
- Battlefield V microtransaction currency is now live
- Rainbow Six Siege’s April Fools event is totally fabulous and full of unicorns
- Black Ops 4 got a new Blackout battle royale map, and it’s free to play through April
Games in Review
- Tropico 6 – PC – 8/10
- The Walking Dead: The Final Season – Episode Four & Season – PS4, XBO, PC – 8/10
- Mechstermination Force – Switch – 8/10
- Bow To Blood: Last Captain Standing – PS4, PSVR, XBO, Switch, PC – 8/10
- Elli– Switch – 6//10
- Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists: Ateliers of the New World – PS4, Switch, PC – 5/10
Reviewed platform in bold.
This Week’s Features
We had a smattering of previews and opinion pieces come through this week, as I went hands on with the drinking games of hell in Afterparty, and got drawn into the BioShock roguelite mash-up of Void Bastards.
Both of those games are heading into Xbox Game Pass as they launch, and so I spoke to the ID@Xbox Lead Ago Simonetta about how Microsoft are trying to help developers get the most out of subscription services. Dom then pondered whether or not gamers can survive on subscription services along?
Here’s the official announce trailer for Borderlands 3
And the Kollector from Mortal Kombat 11
A minor snafu meant that, while What We Played was published yesterday afternoon, it wasn’t featured on the front page! As such, we just have the ever-reliable ramblings of MrYd to keep us company.
He’s played more Firewall and Honor and Duty in VR, some Agents of Mayhem, and some not quite as enjoyable times in Conan Exiles and The Surge from PS+.
The Week Ahead
This coming week is looking pretty good for fresh game releases, from new cardboard contraptions to a spiritual return of an arcade racing great:
- Dangerous Driving – PS4, XBO, PC – 09/04
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 09/04
- Zanki Zero: Last Beginning – PS4, PC – 09/04
- Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain – PS4 – 11/04
- Nintendo Labo: VR Kit – Switch – 12/04
That’s it for this edition, have a good weekend and we’ll see you again soon!