July has arrived and there’s plenty of sporting action this weekend, from the Euros quarter finals to the Lions Rugby Tour starting in South Africa, as well as part two of the Austrian Grand Prix. Should we expect another dominant performance from Max Verstappen?
Meanwhile, the gaming world still feels a tad quiet as we get deeper into summer, but let’s take a look back over the last week!
In the News This Week
As expected, the news was a little slower this week, as we live in the post-E3 glow.
- New Dead Space game is a remake from EA Motive
- Abandoned trailer PS5 app info appears – State of Play reveal coming?
- Ghost of Tsushima: Director’s Cut rated for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4
- Sony reportedly charges indies $25K for PlayStation Store visibility, limits participation in sales
- “TV style” adverts coming to console and PC games, EA and Hi-Rez Studios have signed up
- Housemarque is now owned by Sony, becomes a PlayStation Studio
- Sony Japan tweet that Bluepoint Games have also joined the PlayStation family
- Sony acquires PC porting specialists Nixxes Software
And here’s this month’s free games:
- July’s PlayStation Plus games have been announced
- Xbox Games with Gold for July have been revealed, and there’s a real tough nut amongst them
- The next three free game on the Epic Games Store have been revealed
We’ve got two Elder Scrolls Online: Blackwood codes for PC to giveaway, so if you fancy your chances head on over the the giveaway page before 12PM midday UK time on Monday 5th July 2021. Good luck!
Games in Review
Time to look at the reviews. Will you be picking up any of these titles?
- Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, PC – 8/10
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 Nintendo Switch – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, NSW, PC- 8/10
- Curved Space – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 7/10
- Red Solstice 2 – PC – 6/10
- Despotism3K – PS4, XBO, PC Android, iOS – 6/10
- Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 3/10
And from the hardware reviews, Dom had a look at the latest Turtle Beach headset.
Reuben started our previews this week with a look at the highly anticipated The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, and the good news is he can barely put the game down as he works on his review! Another game that is making its way over to the western world is The Legend of Tianding. Aran shared his thoughts on the side scrolling beat ‘em up, and is looking forward to the release.
Meanwhile, Steve went hands on with the game that impressed him the most at E3, Monster Hunter Stories 2: Winds of Ruin, as Stefan described Phantom Abyss like “a compelling cocktail of ideas that come together really nicely”.
Aside from the previews, Jason wrote about why Magic: Legends shutting down while it is still in open beta sucks, as Tuffcub “explored the magical world of gaming underwear“, and Dom looked after cute animals in Planet Zoo: Africa Pack.
Last up, What We Played rounded off the week with Monster Hunter Stories 2, Planet Zoo & Phantom Abyss.
Here’s what you in our community has been up to this week:
- MrYd has been having lots of fun in the Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remaster, and has been enjoying the great-looking Doom Eternal upgrade. For his latest buys, Resident Evil 2 and 3 Remasters were added to his collection.
- Despite the bugs, ron_mcphatty says the world and story are superb in Cyberpunk 2077.
- It must have been a quiet week for Crazy_Del who didn’t get any platinums – although is only one trophy away from Shadows Awakening, so I expect by the time this post goes up he’ll have it!
I hope you have a good weekend and I’ll see you again soon!