Gamescom is upon us once more, and I’ll be trekking out to Germany tomorrow to spend the best part of a week trying out dozens of upcoming games and speaking to developers. Also, I’ll be doing my best to avoid the mad hordes of gamers crowding every hall and walkway in the public side of the show.
What are you most looking forward to hearing more about?
In the News This Week
- Spyro Reignited Trilogy Has Been Delayed Until November
- More Than 3 Million PlayStation VR Headsets Have Now Been Sold
- TimeSplitters & Second Sight IPs Have Been Snapped Up By THQ Nordic
- PlayStation Will Have “Project Mephisto” At Gamescom
- Diablo III’s Switch Port Made Official, Coming This Year
- Black Ops IIII’s PS4 Blackout Beta Has Been Dated
- Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture Devs The Chinese Room Have Joined Sumo
- Patrick Söderlund To Leave EA
- Doom Eternal Is Sacrificing SnapMap In Favour Of Single Player Invasions
- Bethesda’s Lawyers Take Issue With Someone Reselling A Sealed Copy Of The Evil Within 2
- Dark Souls Remastered Is Finally Releasing For Nintendo Switch In October
Games in Review
There’s been some pretty big games on the test bench this past week, and some real stinkers to go alongside.
- F1 2018 – PS4, XBO, PC – 8/10
- H1Z1: Battle Royale – PS4 – 8/10
- Madden NFL 19 – PS4, XBO, PC – 8/10
- Phantom Doctrine – PS4, XBO, PC – 8/10
- Aces Of The Luftwaffe: Squadron – PS4, Switch, PC – 5/10
- The Wardrobe – PS4, Switch, PC – 4/10
- Vroom Kaboom – PS4, PC, PSVR, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive – 3/10
Reviewed platform in bold.
This Week’s Features
In the rest of the features, Playing With History returned with a look at the gorgeous 11-11: Memories Retold, with Ade speaking to its creators at Aardman and DigixArt to explore the human toll of WWI that it tries to depict.
I then went hands on with the realistic modern era shooter Insurgency: Sandstorm, finding a game that really surprised me with how fun and accessible it felt despite its hardcore elements.
There’s plenty of busy gaming this week, as we check in on the TSA community:
- “MrYd got the Platinum for The Walking Dead Collection, and did some other stuff.” – MrYd
- It’s been Dead Cells and nothing more for GeneralJeeb.
- JR. got sweaty with The Inpatient on PSVR, before nabbing the platinum trophies for Fe, Dear Esther and Life Is Strange: Before the Storm.
- Ron_mcphatty “dusted off my trusty old winged space banana.” I stopped reading at that point.
- It was the usual GTA Online for gernboes, but it was joined by Mass Effect Andromed, Gravel, a lot of Dead Cells, Phantom Doctrine, and he went back to Assassin’s Creed Chronicles. He’s crammed in a lot of gaming before his two week Thai holiday!
- Lastly, aerobes dove into Rainbow Six Siege, Driveclub, PES 19’s demo and The Witcher 3.
If you want to be included in this section, make sure to comment on What We Played of a Friday evening.
The Week Ahead
Despite it being Gamescom, there’s still a good few games coming out next week.
- Guacamelee! 2 – PS4, PC – 21/08
- Shenmue I & II – PS4, XBO, PC – 21/08
- Slime Rancher – PS4 – 21/08
- My Hero One’s Justice – PS4, Switch – 23/08
- Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr – PS4, XBO – 23/08
- F1 2018 – PS4, XBO, PC – 24/08
- Little Dragons Cafe – PS4, Switch – 24/08
- Night Trap: 25th Anniversary Edition – Switch – 24/08
Enjoy the weekend and we’ll catch you next time!