It’s been a surprisingly busy week for video games, hasn’t it? Between the last few big releases, The Game Awards and a bunch of other miscellaneous news, it’s kept us bound to our keyboards, here at TSA Towers.
But now it’s the weekend, time to relax, and maybe accept that it’s Christmas very soon so you can start drinking mulled wine and eating fattening mince pies.
In the News This Week
The source of dozens of trailers and announcements, you can catch up on everything from The Game Awards right here. The highlights included:
- The Last Campfire – A New Game From Hello Games
- The Outer Worlds Is A Collaboration Between The Creators Of Fallout And Fallout: New Vegas
- Mortal Kombat 11 Announced, Out Next April
- Ubisoft Bring Us Another Apocalypse With Far Cry New Dawn
And in the rest of the gaming world, it was time for lots and lots of scandal!
- Watch The Trailers For Fortnite’s Season 7 And Battle Pass
- UK School Warns Parents That Their Children May Be Playing “Strip Fortnite”
- Bethesda Will Now Send Out Replacement Canvas Bags To Fallout 76 Power Armor Owners
- Bethesda Support Leaked Customer Email, Address & Card Details Last Night
- Starbreeze Are In Trouble After Overkill’s The Walking Dead Flops
- Starbreeze Offices Raided Due To Alleged Insider Trading
- Here’s What On Offer In The Second PlayStation Store Weekend Sale
- Jak And Daxter Physical And Collectors Editions Announced
- Battlefield V’s Delayed Overture Update Is Now Live
- Avalanche Detail Upcoming Improvements For Just Cause 4
- The Next Senran Kagura Game Will “Take Some Time” Due To Restrictions
Sunday Streaming Hour
This week’s Sunday Streaming Hour is dipping into the mad carnage of Just Cause 4. Join us at 5PM tomorrow for 60 minutes of barmy nonsense!
Games in Review
Just Cause 4 and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate were the big games of the week. How did they fare? Let’s find out!
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Switch – 10/10
- Civilization VI – Switch – 9/10
- Subnautica – PS4, XBO, PC – 9/10
- Transpose – PSVR, Oculus Rift, Vive – 9/10
- The Haunted Island – A Frog Detective Game – PC – 9/10
- Just Cause 4 – PS4, XBO, PC – 8/10
- Floor Kids – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 8/10
- Arca’s Path VR – PSVR, Vive, Oculus Rift, Oculus Go, Gear VR, Vive Focus, Windows Mixed Reality – 7/10
Reviewed platform in bold.
This Week’s Features
It was a busy old week outside of the review list, as well. The real highlight for me was playing the Resident Evil 2 remake, which takes 90s remaster/remakes/reimaginings to a whole other level. It’s superb!
I then into the next grand strategy game from Paradox Interactive, Imperator: Rome. We also spoke to Content Designer Peter Nicholson about some of the design decisions going into it. Those looking for a slightly less grand and more tactical style of strategy might be more intrigued by Phoenix Point, coming from the original creator of the X-COM series.
My journeys into VR saw me speaking with ex-Sony London Studio head Dave Ranyard about his new game, Arca’s Path, and the future of VR, while I then also stepped into the weird, surreal and wonderful world of A Fisherman’s Tale.
Jake went hands on with the upcoming PvP battles in Pokémon Go, while Jason followed his review of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate with a rundown of the best new characters, and I spent far too long getting our first performance analysis together for Just Cause 4 – I hope to streamline this in future!
Finally, What We Played featured Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (of course), Just Cause 4 and Beat Saber.
Ashen snuck onto the Xbox One overnight
With that cowboy game having recently opened its doors to online play, who’s tucking into Red Dead Online?
- ron_mchpatty, that’s who! he’s found it crashing a lot, but picked up the 3x MVP trophy with some early horse race wins. “Top tips, start slow, pick up weapons and stamina boosts, kick your way past your opponents while they try to kill each other and revel in the complete absence of rubber banding!”
- tactical20 picked up God of War and has enjoyed the opening few hours.
- It’s the regular RDR2 and GT Sport for gernboes, but he also nabbed the platinum for VA-11 Hall-A, and played a bit of Hitman 2, Subnautica, Slime Rancher and Onrush.
- Del hit rank 20 in RDR2 this week.
- The typically varied MrYd played RDR2, Far Cry 5 and dabbled with the PS+ games from this month.
- Going back a few years, Andrewww sampled some GTAV, Rayman Legends and Child of Light.
- Finally, aerobes finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider and came away really impressed. It’s a good game!
If you want to be included in this section, make sure to comment on What We Played of a Friday evening.
The Week Ahead
There’s just a handful of games still to come this year, with almost everything well and truly released by now.
- Earth Defense Force 5 – PS4 – 11/12
- Insurgency: Sandstorm – PC – 12/12
- God Eater 3 – PS4 – 13/12
- Omensight – Switch – 13/12
- Below – XBO, PC – 14/12
- Borderlands 2 VR – PSVR – 14/12
Enjoy the weekend and we’ll catch you next time!