2021 has arrived, and with vaccinations now a thing, I’m sure everyone is counting down the days until things get back to normal – not that we know when that will be or what it will look like! With that bright spot some way off in the future, it’s been an odd holiday period.
One thing that hasn’t changed is that there’s a trickle of news, reviews and features that we’ve been putting out here at TSA Towers. We skipped a roundup over Christmas, so we’ve two weeks of gaming to catch up on, including the reveal of our overall Game of the Year 2020 winner!
In the News over the Holiday Break
- January’s PlayStation Plus games have been revealed with a bonus game on PS5
- Sony are giving refunds to players who already own a digital copy of Maneater on PS5, one of January’s PS+ games
- January’s Games with Gold revealed – start off 2021 with some Little Nightmares
- 2021 starts with a roaring good time courtesy of the latest free game from Epic Games Store
- Class action lawsuit filed against CD Projekt SA over misleading investors about Cyberpunk 2077
- Cyberpunk 2077 has sold 13 million copies, despite launch issues and refunds
- Report: Codemasters bosses set to rake in millions but EA are not ruling out redundancies after the take over
- Nintendo “politely declined” to make a game with Kanye West
Game of the Year 2020
We saw out 2020 with out annual Game of the Year awards, check out the categories below:
- Game of the Year 2020
- Biggest Disappointment
- Best PlayStation Game
- Best Xbox Game
- Best Nintendo Switch Game
- Best VR Game
- Best PC Game
- Best Single Player Game
- Best Narrative
- Best Gameplay
- Best Independent Game
- Best Visual Design
- Best Original Soundtrack
- Best Multiplayer Game
- Best Ongoing Game
- Best Remaster/Remake
Looking Ahead to 2021
The Christmas break hasn’t just been a time for reflection though, but one to think about all the gaming goodness we can enjoy in the coming year!
- Our Most Wanted Games of 2021 – 50 to 46
- Our Most Wanted Games of 2021 – 45 to 41
- Our Most Wanted Games of 2021 – 40 to 36
- Our Most Wanted Games of 2021 – 35 to 31
- Our Most Wanted Games of 2021 – 30 to 26
- Our Most Wanted Games of 2021 – 25 to 21
- Our Most Wanted Games of 2021 – 20 to 16
- Our Most Wanted Games of 2021 – 15 to 11
- Our Most Wanted Games of 2021 – #10 Final Fantasy XVI
Games in Review
Here’s what the team reviewed in the last couple of weeks of the year, plus our finalised review of Cyberpunk:
- Sephiroth Super Smash Bros Ultimate DLC – NSW – 9/10
- Shady Part of Me – PS4, XBO, PC, NSW – 8/10
- Calico – PS4, XBO, PC, NSW – 8/10
- Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond – Oculus Quest, SteamVR – 7/10
- Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light – NSW – 7/10
- Morkredd – XSX|S, XBO, PC – 6/10
- Cyberpunk 2077 – PS4, PS5, XBO, XSX|S, PC, Stadia – 6/10
- Gonner 2 – XBO, PC, NSW – 4/10
Without bombarding you with even more lists of hyperlinks, the last week saw us kick off our look back at the best genres of the year. Thomas revisited several racing games we loved, as well as the rise of racing game esports in 2020. Meanwhile, Steve explored the horror games of the year, as Jason shared his thoughts on why Roguelikes had such a strong showing as a genre.
Ushering in the New Year, What We Played featured Gears 5, Golf Story & Mafia: Definitive Edition.
Here’s what our community has been up to over the break:
- To finish off a record-breaking 2020 for trophy hunter Crazy_Del, he added Worms Rumble, AC: Valhalla, and Call of Duty: Cold War to his collection.
- hornet1990 has been enjoying NHL 94 and Burnout Paradise Remastered.
- As usual, MrYd has been playing a lot, including Doom Eternal, TLoU2, FF7 Remake and DEEMO -Reborn-.
- Other than enjoying the snow, Andrewww has been re-living the good old days with the Commodore64 he got from Santa!
- willbuchanan has also been trophy hunting, adding Far Cry 5 and working on adding Uncharted Golden Abyss to his cabinet.
Have a good weekend and I’ll see you again soon!