It feels like the UK’s weather patterns woke up from their (largely) sun-baked haze this week, remembering that it should be cold, wet and windy for the end of September and start of October. I hope you don’t have many outdoor plans this weekend…
Still, there’s plenty of gaming to be done instead, and things are picking up steam as we head into the busiest time of year for video games. Let’s catch up in our weekly gaming round-up.
In the News This Week
- Bluepoint Games joins PlayStation Studios – is now working on original content
- Report: A new Twisted Metal game is in production
- Nintendo and Zynga shut down 4K Nintendo Switch dev kit reports
- Minimalist dungeon crawler Dungeon Encounters revealed by Square Enix
- Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin release date confirmed – second demo is out today with multiplayer
- Report: Konami is working on Silent Hill, Metal Gear and Castlevania games
- Netflix acquires Oxenfree developer Night School Studio
- Activision settle another federal lawsuit for $18 million
- Halo Infinite beta will be open to all this weekend – download via the Xbox Insider Hub
Oh, and were you wondering about your October game freebies?
- The October 2021 PlayStation Plus games have been revealed
- October’s free Xbox Games with Gold revealed
Games in Review
We had a busy week in the critics chair, as we catch up on some of the latest game releases. Hot Wheels Unleashed in particular sounds like a rad new arcade racer.
- Hot Wheels Unleashed – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 8/10
- The Artful Escape – XSX|S, XBO, PC – 8/10
- Diablo II: Resurrected – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 8/10
- In Sound Mind – PC – 8/10
- Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 7/10
- MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, PC – 7/10
- Aragami 2 – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, PC – 7/10
- World War Z: Aftermath – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, PC – 6/10
Away from the reviews, I started off the week by sharing my preview thoughts from the first few hours of Metroid Dread. It’s shaping up to be a great return for the galaxy’s best bounty hunter, and it’s really creepy, to boot!
Finally, we round out the week as always with What We Played, which featured Super Monkey Ball, Hot Wheels Unleashed and In Sound Mind.
Here’s what you in our community has been up to this week:
- Andrewww has been struggling with a broken wrist, but managed to find Telling Lies, which is a video investigation game that he could still play with only one hand.
- MrYd finished off Tales of Arise with a nice new platinum trophy (despite annoying fishing minigames), got close to the end of his time with Watch Dogs: Legion, and finished off the nonsensical story for Death Stranding with its new PS5 release.
- hornet1990 squeezed in a few missions of Star Wars Squadrons, but he definitely couldn’t hit a whomp rat even if it was much, much bigger than a Death Star vent.
- And tactical20 has been playing Watch Dogs Legion, enjoying the map of London, but finding the game quite boring.
That’s it for this week’s gaming round-up. Try not to get wet!