It’s the first day of June, and for gamers that means that E3’s press conferences are just a week away! We’ve already had a bunch of early announcements and teasers coming out, and it’s bound to get even busier over the next seven days as publishers try to precede the show (or build some hype without having to actually be in attendance).
Of course, if you’re a sports fan, maybe there’s the little matter of tonight’s Champions League final? Who’s your money on to win?
In the News This Week
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare officially announced – and it’s getting cross-play!
- Death Stranding will be out this November – it’ll feature “asynchronous online gameplay” somehow
- Xbox Game Pass is coming to PC, more details at E3
- Upcoming Anthem Cataclysm event revealed, here’s everything we now know
- First Apex Legends Season 2 Battle Pass details revealed, double XP event next weekend
- Is Larian Studios about to announce Baldur’s Gate 3?
- Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered is officially announced, out this year
- Detective Pikachu will be coming to Nintendo Switch, but will it be a new game?
- June’s PlayStation Plus games have been revealed!
- The June Xbox Games With Gold have been revealed!
Competitions & Giveaways
It’s giveaway time as the lovely folks at Gametomo have sent us ten codes for Project Nimbus: Complete Edition to giveaway for Nintendo Switch! This high speed mech action game pulls together all of the elements from the previous releases and puts them onto Nintendo’s little handheld so you can set the future to rights while you’re on the train, the bus or even the ceramic throne.
We had a little snafu with the plug in not showing on mobile, so have extended it for 24 hours, and you now have until 6PM on Monday 3rd June to enter.
So head to our giveaway page to enter through email, Twitter, Discord, Facebook and/or YouTube.
Games in Review
There were some big games on the docket this week, with the action-packed system seller Blood & Truth doing a bang up job, Layers of Fear 2 disappointing or, at the very least, confusing, and Warhammer: Chaosbane being a good dungeon crawler that simply suffers in comparison to the absolute very best the genre has to offer.
- Atelier Lulua: The Scion of Arland – PS4, PC, Switch – 8/10
- Blood & Truth – PSVR – 8/10
- Void Bastards – PC, XBO – 8/10
- Layers of Fear 2 – PS4, XBO, PC – 7/10
- Warhammer: Chaosbane – PS4, XBO, PC – 7/10
- Close to the Sun – PC – 6/10
- Little Friends: Dogs & Cats – Switch – 6/10
- Project Nimbus: Complete Edition – Switch – 6/10
- Bloodborne #12 – Comic Review
Reviewed platform in bold.
This Week’s Features
Stepping away from the reviews, I went hands on with MotoGP 19 and got some insight into Milestone’s pioneering Neural AI and refreshed classic and online racing in the series, while Super Mario Maker 2 is shaping up to be a great refinement and sequel to the Wii U original, just with one snag.
Jim reminisced about the inFamous series on its tenth anniversary, while Rebecca took a look at the Resident Evil Origins Collection (bundling together Resi HD and Resi 0 HD) and Resident Evil 4 on Switch, finding them to be good, but unremarkable and pricy ports of these horror classics.
Rounding things out, What We Played featured Warhammer: Chaosbane, Total War: Three Kingdoms and Dauntless
The Week Ahead
You’d have to be a right numpty to launch a game the week before E3, wouldn’t you? Right?
- Kotodama: The 7 Mysteries of Fujisawa – PS4, Switch, PC – 04/06
- Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth – 3DS – 04/06
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II – PS4 – 04/06
- Warhammer: Chaosbane – PS4, XBO, PC – 04/06
- Super Blood Hockey – PS4, XBO – 05/06 (PS4), 07/06 (XBO)
- MotoGP 19 – PS4, XBO, PC – 06/06
- Slay the Spire – Switch – 06/06
- Refunct – PS4, XBO, Switch – 07/06
That’s it for this edition, have a fab weekend and we’ll see you again soon!