E3 is always a mad festival of press conferences, game trailers and announcements, and while this hasn’t been the most spectacular or exciting of years, there’s still plenty of new games to look forward to.
Let’s check in on the biggest news stories from the past seven days!
In the News This Week
- Microsoft details next-gen Xbox Project Scarlett – coming Holiday 2020
- Xbox Project Scarlett will have backward compatibility to Xbox, Xbox 360 & Xbox One
- Keanu Reeves just revealed Cyberpunk 2077’s release date: 16th April 2020
- Nintendo confirm a The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild sequel is now in development
- Ghostwire Tokyo is the next game from The Evil Within developer Tango Gameworks
- Square Enix reveal their Marvel’s Avengers game, coming out on 15th May 2020
- FromSoftware and George R. R. Martin’s Elden Ring gets officially revealed
- Final Fantasy VII Remake will release in March 2020
- Final Fantasy VIII Remastered is finally coming!
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons for Nintendo Switch delayed until March 2020, live gameplay demoed
- Journey through Greek mythology in Ubisoft’s Gods & Monsters – out in February 2020
- Ninja Theory officially reveal Bleeding Edge, a multiplayer hero combat game
But there was so much more news than just that. Head over to our E3 Hub for everything we covered:
This Week’s Features
With E3 in full flow, we skipped the reviews entirely and instead focussed on E3 editorial and previews. We asked if Microsoft had done enough at E3 to dispel the shadow of Sony and Google Stadia, discussed how Bethesda made their showcase all about the fans and why, expressed our general disappointment at E3 this year, and begrudgingly picked some games that actually did excite us.
Speaking of which, we took a look at Watch Dogs Legion’s tone and why it might just be brilliant, before Miguel shared his hands on impressions from Forza Horizon 4 Lego Speed Champions, Spiritfarer and its cat co-op, Zombie Army 4 and Sniper Elite VR.
I also had a go at figuring out how the next generation of PlayStation 5 and Project Scarlett might be stacking up, Dom gathered people round for an E3 edition TheSixthAxis Pubcast, and we rounded out the week with What We Played, which featured Destiny 2 and Cadence of Hyrule.
Here’s what you all got up to when not watching streams and trailers:
- ron_mcphatty made his return to gaming, popping a disc into his PS4 for the first time since January! He’s been playing Spider-Man and having a good bit of fun with it.
- Andrewww was late to the Life Is Strange party, but thinks it’s rather good.
- MrYd’s been playing with some things beginning with ‘D’ again, and the surprise Borderlands 2 DLC.
- Once he’d recovered from seeing The Cure last weekend, TSBonyman played around with some of the Dreams Early Access.
- Finally, Crazy_Del grabbed the platinum for World War Z and has been having a blast with Blood and Truth in VR.
The Week Ahead
Things are picking up again, now that E3’s out of the way:
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night – PS4, XBO, PC – 18/06
- Mini-Mech Mayhem – PSVR – 18/06
- Vacation Simulator – PSVR – 18/06
- 198X – PS4, PC – 20/06
- My Friend Pedro – Switch, PC – 20/06
- Underworld Ascendant – PS4, XBO
- Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled – PS4, XBO, Switch – 21/06
That’s it for this edition, have a fab weekend and we’ll see you again soon!