It didn’t take long for reality to hit home in 2021. Sure, it’s a brand new year, but that doesn’t wipe the slate clean after 2020. The world is as tumultuous and chaotic as ever, and there’s a long road ahead for any kind of relative normality to return.
At least we have our video games, right? We’re already racing toward the release of Hitman 3, The Medium, and plenty more besides. So let’s hop in and catch up on the week in gaming.
In the News This Week
- Outriders delayed to 1st April, but a free demo will preview the game in February
- Monster Hunter Rise demo is out now, new game details are revealed
- Custom DualSense and PS5 faceplates are now available to order from third party suppliers
- Twitch suspends Donald Trump’s account for a second time so he cannot “incite further violence”
- Koei Tecmo has been hacked, forum passwords and emails have been compromised
- A ten year study has found no link between violent video games and violent behaviour
- Report: Sony to discontinue all but one PlayStation 4 model in Japan
- Everspace 2 shoots into Early Access this month, with full release planned for 2022
- Minecraft Earth is shutting down in June
- MTG Arena goes into Android Early Access this month
Games in Review
As we kick off the new year, we’re catching up on some games from last year, as well as a clutch of gaming hardware that might tempt you to splurge on:
- Monster Sanctuary – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 8/10
- Star Renegades – XBO, NSW, PC – 7/10
- Root Double: Before Crime * After Days Xtend Edition – NSW – 7/10
- Override 2: Super Mech League – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 5/10
And here’s that trio of contrasting gaming accessories:
- Creative SXFI Trio Headphones – Android, PC – 9/10
- Thrustmaster eSwap X Pro Controller – XSX|S, XBO – 8/10
- Gamesir X2 Mobile Controller Review – Android – 7/10
We had plenty of non-review features this week, starting off with Dom’s early hands on with Monster Hunter Rise, which is sure to be his next gaming obsession when it releases for Nintendo Switch.
I then went hands on with Hitman 3, which is out in just a few weeks on 20th January, and take in some of the varied scenarios it explores and new gameplay ideas being added to a familiar blend of gameplay.
Elsewhere, Aran played the opening hours of monster catching MMORPG TemTem, as it debuted on PS5 in December. Nic R went hands on with Stronghold: Warlords, finding a lot of fun and engaging strategy while the retro RPG Echo Generations was in Nick P’s playlist over the holidays.
We also continued our Most Wanted in 2021 articles, as we inch closer and closer to our number one pick.
- Our Most Wanted Games of 2021 – #9 Hitman 3
- Our Most Wanted Games of 2021 – #8 Dragon Age 4
- Our Most Wanted Games of 2021 – #7 Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- Our Most Wanted Games of 2021 – #6 Deathloop
- Our Most Wanted Games of 2021 – #5 Resident Evil Village
And to round things out, as per usual, we have What We Played, featuring AC Valhalla, Hitman 3 and Monster Hunter Rise.
Here’s what you in our community has been up to this week:
- tactical20 grabbed the platinum trophy for LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean.
- MrYd has his usual variety of games, with DEEMO, Doom Eternal and Hunt: Showdown, with some mixed thoughts on Final Fantasy VII Remake, enjoying some of it, but finding it to be rather padded out and “a bit of a disaster” as a remake of a classic.
- Far Cry 5 on Infamous difficulty and Uncharted Golden Abyss on Crushing difficulty have been on willbuchanan’s playlist.
- Crazy_Del finished GodFall (but is now grinding for Legendary Gear and the Tower Trials), and snapped up the platinum trophy for ManEater from PS+.
- It was a double bill of Portal and Portal 2 for ron_mcphatty, which got his fingers crossed for more Hal-Life this decade. He also tried out a bit of Star Wars: The Old Republic, but immediately hated it!
- hornet1990 played Burnout Paradise Remastered and a bit of NHL 20.
- And Andrewww played the “excellent” Boulder Dash and Zork on his C64 Maxi, and managed to get “unstuck” in Resident Evil HD.
And with all of that caught up on, I’ll let you crack on with your weekends! Have fun at home, stay safe if and when you’re not, and I’ll see you next week.